- The applicant must be a citizen of the Kurdistan Region.
- The applicant agrees to sign a contract with the Kurdistan Regional Government according to which (1) he/she commits to return to the Region after obtaining the requested degree and (2) work for five years (preference will be given to Kurdistan Regional Government institutions and the needs of the KRG).
- The applicant will be subject to the regulations of the Human Capacity Development Program. In the event such regulations do not cover certain issues, the regulations pertaining to scholarships and financial issues in Iraq and the Region will pertain.
II. Special Requirements to Study for Master’s and PhD Programs:
- The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree (to study for the master’s) or a master’s degree (to study for the PhD) from a university of college recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the Kurdistan Region.
- The applicant must have graduated among the top 25% of his/her class or have scored a graduation grade of at least 65% for a bachelor’s degree holder, and at least 75% for a master’s degree holder, or equivalent grades in case the certificate was granted by a university with a different academic grading system.
- The applicant’s age should not be over 35 for those applying for master’s programs, and 40 for those applying for PhD programs.
III. Scholarship Selection Criteria:
The Supreme Board will look into the applications in accordance with the following criteria and their assigned weights (points):
1. Obtaining a conditional or unconditional offer by the applicant from a university or college recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the Kurdistan Region and is in a country listed in the Program Outline: 25 points for unconditional offers and 15 points for conditional offers.
2. Previous Degree Graduation Grade: 10 points.
3. Language proficiency: 25 points with the following considerations:
- If the intended studies are conducted in English, preference will be based on scores obtained by the TOEFL, IELTS or PASSWORD testing programs.
- If the intended studies are not conducted in English, the application will be considered according to a different mechanism that is decided by the Supreme Board.
4. Relevance of previous field of study and the required field (should be within the list of approved fields) in addition to the accuracy and quality of the proposed research topic by the applicant: 15 points.
5. Relevant previous working experience after undergraduate studies: 2 points for each year (not more than 15).
6. Age of applicant will be considered as follows:
- Applicants for master’s programs: maximum number of points is 10. One point will be deducted for every year beyond 25 years of age.
- Applicants for PhD programs: maximum number of points is 10. One point will be deducted for every year beyond 30 years.
1. Special conditions: the Program will take into consideration applications from the following categories:
- Applicants to filling the academic requirements of the newly established universities given that they meet the above requirements (Halabja, Soran, Garmian, Rania and Zakho).
- Families of martyrs and Anfal victims and disabled persons given that they meet the above requirements.
- The Administrative Committee will take into consideration applications to universities which grant offer letters without financial guarantees.